Monday, February 2, 2009

Kebob...kabob...oh heck, I can't spell it. It's meat on a stick.

Well, I haven't been here in forever! I thought maybe it was time to try this again. I've made some awesome recipes in the last year and have definitely furthered my culinary skills, so it's time to share!

Yesterday, my husband and I (re)committed ourselves to healthier eating and regular gym time. It's sad when the clothes I bought just months ago are already tight and ill-fitting. Quite sad, indeed. So, here we go!

My healthy eating is probably different from others--I believe in whole foods as much as possible, and not using "fake" ingredients, i.e. Splenda or other artificial sweeteners, margarine, etc. I also eat beef. My cholesterol is fine, so I take the risk! I'm too much of an old-fashioned Oklahoma girl to not eat a steak now and then.

Tonight's steak is a nice petite sirloin, marinated and grilled, served with grilled veggies and yummy, healthy brown rice. I like to marinade the meat for awhile, if I can, to make sure it's very tender. I also like to cook it fairly high to insure a good caramelized crust on the steak.



Lime-cumin-garlic steak kabobs with zucchini and red onion over brown rice:

  • Enough sirloin steak to feed 2 people plus leftovers, cubed

    juice from 3 limes

  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed

  • 1 tsp (to taste) of cumin

  • 1 TBSP olive oil

  • Salt and pepper to taste


Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over meat in a container. Marinade for 1 hour or longer, if possible.

2 zucchini, sliced

1 red onion, wedged

Salt, pepper, and olive oil to coat

Now, here's the part I have a problem with--I have no grill!!! So, I improvise. I have a big electric skillet, and for the most part, my long kabob skewers fit on it. So I will only show you the finished product, because yeah, it's not so pretty for the cooking for me.

I like to keep my meat and veg skewers separate. In the meantime, boil up enough brown rice for two people.

Basically, you just cook to medium-rare, and until the veggies are crisp-tender, with some good browning. Optional: If you want to make extra marinade, you certainly can and reduce it down to make a yummy sauce!

1 comment:

Laura said...

lol, I have a hard time spelling it too. I always spell it "kabob" but I think it's actually "kebab". Either way, it's delicious! Perfect dinner on a hot summer evening.